commons-user mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [daemon] compile for use with redhat and debian
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2012 18:50:13 GMT
On 01/05/2012 05:48 PM, Phil Clay wrote:

> 1) Is it possible to create a single jsvc binary (that uses libcap), that works if either
libcap.so.1 or libcap.so.2 is available at runtime?

In theory yes by using the dlopen("libcap.so") and then dlsym all API's instead linking.
It is on my TODO list, but if you are in a hurry, feel free to provide a patch.
It'll get into the release faster :)

> 2) I have experimented with disabling libcap when compiling jsvc. This allows jsvc to
run on both platforms.  What are the implications of this?  Does this result in a "less secure"
binary?  Note that I am using the -user flag to drop the daemon process to a non-root user
at runtime.

Yep less secure.

Regards
--