commons-user mailing list archives

From Phil Clay <pil...@yahoo.com>
Subject [daemon] compile for use with redhat and debian
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2012 16:48:03 GMT

Hi,

I would like to be able to use jsvc on both debian and redhat machines.  Ideally, I'd like
to be able to compile jsvc once, and use the same binary on both platforms.

The problem I am encountering is that the version of libcap varies across machines.

For example, if I compile jsvc on a RHEL 5.4 machine (which has libcap.so.1), and then attempt
to run the same binary on a Debian 6 machine (which has libcap.so.2), then the execution fails
with:

jsvc: error while loading shared libraries: libcap.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No
such file or directory

So, I have two questions:

1) Is it possible to create a single jsvc binary (that uses libcap), that works if either
libcap.so.1 or libcap.so.2 is available at runtime?

2) I have experimented with disabling libcap when compiling jsvc. This allows jsvc to run
on both platforms.  What are the implications of this?  Does this result in a "less secure"
binary?  Note that I am using the -user flag to drop the daemon process to a non-root user
at runtime.

Thanks,

Phil