commons-user mailing list archives

From kwut...@web.de
Subject commons lang3: NullArgumentException missing?
Date Wed, 21 Dec 2011 16:16:16 GMT
Hello,

I can see NullArgumentException has been removed from the lang3 API, but I don't understand
why. There have been long discussions in the past why a NullArgumentException is better than
using an IllegalArgumentException. Most people are using commons-lang anyway, so what's the
point of removing NullArgumentException?

What if developers don't want to use IllegalArgumentException? Is is more advantageous to
have these people provide their own NullArgumentException implementations? This is stupid.
One of these reasons why the commons-* libs have been created was to fill the gap where the
Java API has provided nothing. Now lang3 is there, too.

If people aren't interested in using NullArgumentException as provided, why don't they simply
ignore it or provide their own implementations? I don't understand it.

Any comments/explanations to clear this up are welcome.

Karsten