commons-user mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: configuration --- get the properties object loaded after the delayed refresh
Date Wed, 07 Sep 2011 23:29:55 GMT
Even the listener is triggered by something retrieving a property. There is no thread doing
polling.

However, if you are using this with JBoss 5+ I'm not sure the code below will work. I've had
developers reporting that JBoss is returning vfsfile as the protocol when the name is turned
into a URL and then ConfigurationUtil.fileFromURL fails.  They have reported that using VFSFileChangedReloadingStrategy
works fine with JBoss, although it isn't clear to me why since it doesn't explicitly support
the vfsfile protocol.

Ralph

On Sep 7, 2011, at 12:07 PM, Srinivas Jonnalagadda wrote:

> Oliver,
>
> Thanks so i misunderstood the reload startegies. But what about the listeners. Can we
trigger signal to reload. I wanted to use ConfigurationChangedListener. But that still doesnt
solve the purpose right. For more clarity i am pasting the unit test i wrote:

> Regards,
> srinivas jonnalagadda
>
> @Test
>  public  void  testGetBuiltPropertyFileName() throws Exception {
>   PropertiesConfiguration config = new PropertiesConfiguration();
>   Properties props = null;
>   config.setFileName(TEST_FILE);
>   config.load();
>   FileChangedReloadingStrategy strategy = new FileChangedReloadingStrategy();
>   strategy.setRefreshDelay(500);
>   config.setReloadingStrategy(strategy);
>   assertEquals(config.getString("JEDI_ENVIRONMENT"),"TEST");
>   props = ConfigurationConverter.getProperties(config);
>   assertEquals(props.getProperty("JEDI_ENVIRONMENT"),"TEST");
>   Thread.sleep(200000);
>   assertEquals(config.getString("JEDI_ENVIRONMENT"),"TEST");
>   System.out.println("Test");
>   assertEquals(props.getProperty("JEDI_ENVIRONMENT"),"TEST");
>  }

when i set the refresh delay to 500 and after the initial test passed i put a thread.sleep
for 2 minutes. when  the thread sleeps i am changing the value of the  JEDI_ENVIRONMENT to
some thing else. When the thread wakes up I wanted to see the props refreshed with new values
so that the tes tcase fails which means the program runs as expected. Pls help me.

> Hi Srinivas,
>
> somehow your code got mangled, so it is hardly readable.
>
> But if I understand correctly, you obtain a Properties object from the
> configuration using something like
>
> Properties props = ConfigurationConverter.getProperties(config);
>
> Then you expect that the properties are automatically refreshed by the
> reloading strategy without any further action from your side, correct?
>
> Well, the reloading strategies do not work that way unfortunately.
> Currently, there is no implementation which actively monitors a
> configuration file. Rather, the reloading strategy is only triggered
> when the configuration object is accessed, e.g. if a property is
> queried. FileChangedReloadingStrategy then checks the timestamp of the
> configuration file. If it has changed, it reloads the configuration. So
> you will only see new values if you query the configuration again.
>
> HTH
> Oliver
>

>> sincerely,
>> Srinivas Jonnalagadda
>>   @TestPropertiesConfiguration config =
>> Properties props =
>> config.setFileName(
>> config.load();
>> FileChangedReloadingStrategy strategy =
>> strategy.setRefreshDelay(500);
>> config.setReloadingStrategy(strategy);
>> assertEquals(config.getString(
>> props = ConfigurationConverter.getProperties(config);
>> assertEquals(props.getProperty(
>> Thread.sleep(200000);
>> assertEquals(config.getString(
>> System.
>> assertEquals(props.getProperty(
>> }
>>
>>   publicvoidtestGetBuiltPropertyFileName() throwsException {newPropertiesConfiguration();
null;TEST_FILE); newFileChangedReloadingStrategy(); "JEDI_ENVIRONMENT"),"TEST");"JEDI_ENVIRONMENT"),"TEST");"JEDI_ENVIRONMENT"),"TEST");out.println("Test");"JEDI_ENVIRONMENT"),"TEST");

after the delay but the result object has the old values still. How do i get the new values
into the result object after the refresh. I am trying to create a Configuration listener as
well and that alos seems not to work.  The main objective for me is to get the properties
object loaded with new values without JBOSS server restart. Any help is appreciated.

>>> Regards,
>>> Srinivas J
>>
>> your code looks good, therefore I am not sure whether I fully understand
>> your problem.
>>
>> How can you tell that the properties configuration object is refreshed
>> correctly when the result object still has the old values? Do you get
>> other results if you access the configuration object directly, e.g. by
>> calling propsConfig.getString("someKey") ? (If so, this would indicate a
>> bug in the ConfigurationConverter.getProperties() implementation.)
>>
>> Oliver
>>

>>> Properties result = null;
>>> Configuration config = null;
>>> URL resourceURL = null;
>>> FileChangedReloadingStrategy refreshStrategy = new FileChangedReloadingStrategy();
>>> refreshStrategy.setRefreshDelay(refreshDelay);
>>>
>>> PropertiesConfiguration propsConfig = new PropertiesConfiguration();
>>> propsConfig.setFileName(name);
>>> propsConfig.load();
>>> propsConfig.setReloadingStrategy(refreshStrategy);