commons-user mailing list archives

From Wieland Gmeiner <wieland.gmei...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [CONFIGURATION] preserve mulitline property over load and save
Date Wed, 14 Sep 2011 11:18:31 GMT
On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 12:37 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 14 September 2011 09:23, Wieland Gmeiner <wieland.gmeiner@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 1:15 AM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> In that case, I think you are going to have to write your own output method.
>>>
>>> So long as you don't change any of the input settings, you should just
>>> be able to append the new ones to the end.
>>
>> I also have to change values of already existing properties, so
>> appending only is not a choice.
>
> Fixing property values in place is going to be a lot harder in general.
>
> As already noted, the original formatting is dropped when the file is loaded.
> But even if the format were retained, it's still tricky to rewrite the
> file with the new values if spacing is significant.
> What if the new values are longer or shorter? Should spacing be adjusted?
> If the original property has a single value, and another value is
> added, should this be on the same line or the next?
> And what spacing should be used?
>
> Try writing down the rules for updating the file assuming that the
> person doing it has no knowledge of what the format is trying to
> achieve.

I know it's hard, because I tried to do that for xml and properties
with the Java SE alone. While handling the "real" work (i.e. merging
nodes/properties) is not so hard, the layout problem was driving me
nuts, thats why I started to search some library where someone already
solved that problem for me. But it seems that will remain on the todo
list at the moment.