commons-user mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [CONFIGURATION] preserve mulitline property over load and save
Date Wed, 14 Sep 2011 10:37:54 GMT
On 14 September 2011 09:23, Wieland Gmeiner <wieland.gmeiner@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 1:15 AM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Because I'm programmatically changing configuration files (e.g.
>>> inserting additional properties) and it would be nice not to mess up
>>> the layout of the original files. A sysadmin won't be pleased if some
>>> update program changes the layout of his handcrafted config files. I
>>> wouldn't.
>>
>> In that case, I think you are going to have to write your own output method.
>>
>> So long as you don't change any of the input settings, you should just
>> be able to append the new ones to the end.
>
> I also have to change values of already existing properties, so
> appending only is not a choice.

Fixing property values in place is going to be a lot harder in general.

As already noted, the original formatting is dropped when the file is loaded.
But even if the format were retained, it's still tricky to rewrite the
file with the new values if spacing is significant.
What if the new values are longer or shorter? Should spacing be adjusted?
If the original property has a single value, and another value is
added, should this be on the same line or the next?
And what spacing should be used?

Try writing down the rules for updating the file assuming that the
person doing it has no knowledge of what the format is trying to
achieve.