commons-user mailing list archives

From Oliver Heger <oliver.he...@oliver-heger.de>
Subject Re: [CONFIGURATION] preserve mulitline property over load and save
Date Tue, 13 Sep 2011 20:31:16 GMT
Hi Wieland,

Am 13.09.2011 18:19, schrieb Wieland Gmeiner:
> Hi,
>
> i have property values spanning multiple lines like
>
>        value = aaa, \
>                     bbb
>
> When I load this into a PropertiesConfiguration and later store to a
> file I can only achieve two results,
>
> * having everything on one line like
>
>       value = aaa,bbb
>
> * or a mulitvalue property like
>
>       value = aaa
>       value = bbb
>
> Is there a possiblity to tweak the PropertiesConfiguration so that it
> preserves the original layout over a load/store cycle?

unfortunately, there is no such possibility currently. When the
properties file is read the backslash as line combiner is processed, and
the value is stored without any information about a line break.

I fear that implementing such a feature would not be trivial. You would
probably have to invent a format which tells the configuration that a
property should span multiple lines, but the line break character must
not be mixed up with regular content of the property value.

If you have concrete ideas how to solve this, you might want to open a
feature request in our bug tracking system [1].

Oliver

[1] http://commons.apache.org/configuration/issue-tracking.html