commons-user mailing list archives

From Andy Turner <A.G.D.Tur...@leeds.ac.uk>
Subject RE: [math] Polygon Difference Question
Date Thu, 08 Sep 2011 08:25:04 GMT
Hi

There is considerable experience with these sorts of issues from the geospatial domain. It
might be worth asking for instance on the geotools or JTS java topology suite lists if they
can help.

I've not looked into this, but I suspect perhaps a rounding/precision issue, or something
to do with whether the boundary segment is handled as something computed as clockwise or anti-clockwise.

Best wishes,

Andy
http://www.geog.leeds.ac.uk/people/a.turner/
From: Luc Maisonobe [Luc.Maisonobe@free.fr]
Sent: 07 September 2011 21:20
To: Commons Users List
Subject: Re: [math] Polygon Difference Question

Le 26/08/2011 20:41, Curtis Jensen a écrit :
> Using math 3.0, I have two polygons with many points.  One is
> completely contained within the other.  When I do a difference on the
> two, I expected to get a polygon with a hole in it.  However, I get 86
> polygons, that roughly make up a polygon with a hole in it.  If I
> scale the points by a factor of 0.1, I get 7 polygons, and if I scale
> it differently in the two directions, I get a different number of
> polygons.  Sometimes the resultant polygons don't seem to make a shape
> resembling a polygon with a hole in it.
>
> How should I interpret the results of the difference method?  i.e. How
> do I process the 86 or 7 or however many polygons so that it resembles
> 1 polygon with 1 hole in it?

I finally had a look at this.
It seems when the outer polygon is built, it is already split in many
sub-polygons. There are many tiny artefacts throughout the plane. This
can be seen by reading the polygon and immediately retrieving its
boundary. The retrieved boundary is not equal to the initial one!

As an example, you can zoom in the rectangle ranging from -10.4346 to
-10.4344 along x and from 10.6585 to 10.6587 along y. In the original
boundary from src_ccw.csv file, the boundary goes roughly from upper
right to lower left of this small rectangle, with an almost rectangular
dent in the middle. The retrieved boundary dos not have this dent but
instead has a long boundary from upper right to lower left, and about
four almost infinitely thin separate polygons at the dent bottom.

So their is at least a bug in the building routine. Given the very
complex nature of this boundary, I don't know how to identify the bug
and solve it. Here is what I think now:

We have a boundary defined by many points, most of them being aligned
with their neighbors as depicted in the ASCII art below, where thew
characters represent vertices and '-' and '|' represent edges between
vertices.

   x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

                   x               x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
                   |               |
                   x               x
                   |               |
                   x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

We use each edge to define a line, and build the BSP tree by computing
the intersection of these lines. Here, the intersections of the top
horizontal edges are *really* difficult to compute as they are parallel.

This is a very difficult problem because the BSP representation is
really different from the boundary representation we start from. We
don't ask about the connectivity of the edges (mainly because we don't
know how to handle it ...), and in this case this lead the algorithm to
fail miserably :-(

Could you open a Jira issue with a reduced points set reproducing a
similar behavior (say a single polygon with less than 50 points, which
could simply be a chopped sub-region of this one) ?

Do you have some clever idea to use connectivity information to help
build the set (perhaps by trying to eliminate redundant intermediate
points) ?

I guess this bug will be difficult to solve.

Luc