commons-user mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [NET] Help with change directory
Date Tue, 26 Jul 2011 11:39:31 GMT
On 25 July 2011 21:41, Diane Baumgartner <poindextra@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm new to Apache Commons  (3.0.1), and am writing a Java program to FTP a file on my
local server to an FTP server on the same network.

First, please prefix the subject line with the Commons component; in
this case [NET] as I have done in this reply.

> First, I'd like to make sure that changeWorkingDirectory() changes the directory on the
remote machine.  It's not clear from the documentation.

The command corresponds with the standard FTP command CWD, which
attempts to change the remote directory.

> The first thing hat happens is that the "Change Directory didn't work" prints out.
but I don't know what went wrong.
> So, I'm trying to use getReply() for more information, but my program hangs on that line.
I know this becuase the line before it prints, but not the line after it.

> Here's a code snippet:
>
> FTPClient ftp = new FTPClient();
> ftp.connect (server);
>
> // status checking here - print statements indicate that connect was successful
>
> boolean OK = ftp.changeWorkingDirectory ("/tmp/dir_name");
> if {OK} {
>   System.out.println ("Change directory worked");
> } else {
>   System.out.println ("Change directory didn't work");
>   system.out.println ("The FTP Reply Code is");
>
>  reply = ftp.getReply();  // reply was defined as int before doing the connect previous
to this
>   System.out.println (Reply);
> }
>
> Thanks for any help you can offer.

getReply() is intended for low-level programming; it fetches the
response from the server, so no wonder the code hangs.

You need to use getReplyCode() and/or getReplyString().

Have a look at the FTPClientExample code.