commons-user mailing list archives

From Hans Rupp <hansj.r...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [daemon]
Date Mon, 18 Jul 2011 14:49:28 GMT
2011/7/18 Mladen Turk <mturk@apache.org>

>>> Are you referring starting the procrun from user session?
>>> Why would you wish to do that?
>>>

>>>  Thanks for your answer.
>>>
>>  I log on as local system account but i'm using the service to launch an
>> application with a gui so i enabled "allow service to interact with
>> desktop".
>>

> Doubt you can log in as a local system account.
>
> Anyhow, that'll work with XP only. Any contemporary windows
> version (Vista, Win7, ...) will refuse to display anything from
> the Session0. You usually need some sort of IPC between the service
> and GUI app in the user session.
>

>   And then i get an empty dos-console-window, which i want to minimize
>> automatically.
>>

> Services are console applications by default.
> Sure you can use gui (hell, you can even modify the procrun.exe to
> behave like GUI app, if you know how to edit the exe's PE header),
> but then you'll loose stdout/stderr inside JVM.
>
> Like said, I'd suggest you review your design. Starting a GUI from
> the service is not how you do things.
>
>   So my design is not optimal/elegant but i have no idea how to do it
another way.
  My requirements are:
 1. My Application must start at system start (service starts automatically)
 2. Application must be able to recover from jvm crashes (service can be
restartet when terminated abnormally)
 3. must accept user input (allow service to interact with desktop)

 and it works for me, the only thing that's not the way i want it is the
dos-console showing.
 But it would very nice, if you can give me some hints, how to do it a
better way.