commons-user mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [daemon]
Date Thu, 21 Jul 2011 11:30:24 GMT
On 07/21/2011 08:58 AM, Hans Rupp wrote:
> 2011/7/19 Mladen Turk<mturk@apache.org>
>

>> Well, write an ant task and start your application via ant.
>> This is the first thing that comes to my mind.
>> Or write you own simple class that will exec new jvm and
>> monitor it's exit value.
>>
>> Thanks again, but i'm not familiar with ant and don't how to write a task
> that can permanently monitor my application.

So you are out of luck then ;)

> I think your second suggestion isn't realy a solution, what should i do if
> the monitoring jvm crashes?

That's why its called "monitoring" it doesn't do any job except
checking if the child is alive, and if not restart it according to
some rules. People even write this kind of layer for standard services,
because your application can become unresponsive without
crashing the JVM. Also if you think your application could
crash the JVM your are in much bigger problem.

I think your entire use case is sort of an oxymoron.
You wish a full blown service (like you've said "os-layer")
and still to have the userland GUI. Split those two parts
and use the IPC for communication between them.

Regards
--
^TM