commons-user mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [daemon]
Date Mon, 18 Jul 2011 10:10:52 GMT
On 07/18/2011 09:21 AM, Hans Rupp wrote:
> 2011/7/15 Mladen Turk<mturk@apache.org>
>

>> There is no window if started as service.
>> Are you referring starting the procrun from user session?
>> Why would you wish to do that?
>>

>>   Thanks for your answer.
>   I log on as local system account but i'm using the service to launch an
> application with a gui so i enabled "allow service to interact with
> desktop".

Doubt you can log in as a local system account.

Anyhow, that'll work with XP only. Any contemporary windows
version (Vista, Win7, ...) will refuse to display anything from
the Session0. You usually need some sort of IPC between the service
and GUI app in the user session.

>   And then i get an empty dos-console-window, which i want to minimize
> automatically.

Services are console applications by default.
Sure you can use gui (hell, you can even modify the procrun.exe to
behave like GUI app, if you know how to edit the exe's PE header),
but then you'll loose stdout/stderr inside JVM.

Like said, I'd suggest you review your design. Starting a GUI from
the service is not how you do things.

Regards
--
^TM