commons-user mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Active object locked a long time
Date Fri, 08 Jul 2011 05:09:18 GMT
On 7/6/11 6:01 AM, Ladowichx, Michael wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I am using your API commons pools.
>
> I would like to know what happen whether an active object is locked a long time.
>
> Is there a way to return this active object in the pool after a long time ?

I assume that you mean that the object is checked out from the pool
by a client using borrowObject and you want to get it forcibly
returned to the pool.  If so, the answer is no.   Current released
versions of Commons Pool do not keep track of instances checked out
by clients, so there is no way for the pool to reach out and grab
one back.  Version 2.0, getting close to release, will be able to
keep track of instances in circulation, but there is no plan at this
point to enable forcible return.  Quite likely, something like
DBCP's AbandonedObjectPool functionality will be incorporated for
generic object pools, but that destroys, rather than returns
abandoned instances.  The best solution obviously is to get the
clients to clean up after themselves - always returning instances
that they borrow.

Phil

> Best regards,
>
> Michael LADOWICHX
>
> </PRE><p style="font-family:arial;color:grey" style="font-size:13px">This
message contains information that may be privileged or confidential and is the property of
the Capgemini Group. It is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are
not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate,
please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this message.</p><PRE>