commons-user mailing list archives

From Diane Baumgartner <poindex...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [NET] Help with change directory
Date Tue, 26 Jul 2011 13:41:31 GMT
Thanks for your reply,

I'll retest, but I believe that previous versions of the code also hung on getReplyString
and getReplyCode after the change directory.

Is it OK to use getReplyCode followed by getReplyString to output both the code and description?

Also, by FTPClient example code, do you mean the examples in the JavaDoc, or are there examples
somewhere else I haven't found yet?

PS - I also tried to go to the FAQ linked to by the NET main page, but it was a bad link.
Is there a specific place to report stuff like that?

Thanks again for your help.

--- On Tue, 7/26/11, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:

From: sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [NET] Help with change directory
To: "Commons Users List" <user@commons.apache.org>
Date: Tuesday, July 26, 2011, 7:39 AM

On 25 July 2011 21:41, Diane Baumgartner <poindextra@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm new to Apache Commons  (3.0.1), and am writing a Java program to FTP a file on my
local server to an FTP server on the same network.

First, please prefix the subject line with the Commons component; in
this case [NET] as I have done in this reply.

> First, I'd like to make sure that changeWorkingDirectory() changes the directory on the
remote machine.  It's not clear from the documentation.

The command corresponds with the standard FTP command CWD, which
attempts to change the remote directory.

> The first thing hat happens is that the "Change Directory didn't work" prints out.
but I don't know what went wrong.
> So, I'm trying to use getReply() for more information, but my program hangs on that line.
I know this becuase the line before it prints, but not the line after it.

> Here's a code snippet:
>
> FTPClient ftp = new FTPClient();
> ftp.connect (server);
>
> // status checking here - print statements indicate that connect was successful
>
> boolean OK = ftp.changeWorkingDirectory ("/tmp/dir_name");
> if {OK} {
>   System.out.println ("Change directory worked");
> } else {
>   System.out.println ("Change directory didn't work");
>   system.out.println ("The FTP Reply Code is");
>
>  reply = ftp.getReply();  // reply was defined as int before doing the connect previous
to this
>   System.out.println (Reply);
> }
>
> Thanks for any help you can offer.

getReply() is intended for low-level programming; it fetches the
response from the server, so no wonder the code hangs.

You need to use getReplyCode() and/or getReplyString().

Have a look at the FTPClientExample code.