commons-user mailing list archives

From Luc Maisonobe <>
Subject Re: [math] Cross and Dot Product (not centered at the origin)
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2011 19:01:46 GMT
Le 15/06/2011 19:57, Curtis Jensen a écrit :
> The Vector2D and Vector3D classes have dotProduct and crossProduct
> methods.  I assume this is done be considering each vector originating

There is no crossProduct in Vector2D in the current version I think.

> from the origin.  How can the dot product and cross products be
> calculated for vectors not centered at the origin?

Yes, these methods are intended for vectorial spaces, not affine spaces,
which implies they work for vector centered at origin.

We discussed on the dev list about having separate classes for
Affine/Vectorial spaces and finally decided to merge everything in only
one class per dimension. This is a classical choice and the user often
already know what his instances represent.