commons-user mailing list archives

From "Gary Lucas" <>
Subject [sanselan] how to access raw pixels?
Date Mon, 18 Apr 2011 14:30:31 GMT
I have an application for which I am considering the use of Sanselan to process GeoTIFF images,
but am unsure how to use the API to support one of my requirements.
The main Sanselan class provides an API that reads the TIFF and produces a BufferedImage.
 But my need is to get at the raw pixels in a random-access sort of pattern.  While I could
just use the BufferedImage.getRGB method to read pixels, I was wondering if there was a way
to "cut out the middle man" and get at the pixel data directly (the hope being that doing
so would improve the time required to load and process the images).  I've been looking through
the Sanselan source code (the documentation is a bit sparse), but am having a bit of trouble
figuring out the best way to proceed.
Does anyone have an example snippet of code or white paper explaining how to do this?  Is
it even possible?
Computer Programming is the Art of the Possible
Gary W. Lucas
Sonalysts, Inc.
215 Parkway North
Waterford, CT 06385