commons-user mailing list archives

From Nick Fortescue <>
Subject Re: [math] MullerSolver() empty constructor deprecated. Replacement?
Date Wed, 20 Apr 2011 10:46:32 GMT
On 20 April 2011 11:45, Gilles Sadowski <> wrote:
> Hello Nick.
>> MullerSolver() and other Univariate solvers (NewtonSolver,
>> SecantSolver) have had their no argument constructor deprecated. In
>> the deprecation comment it says "to be removed in 3.0". I can see no
>> mention in the javadocs for commons-math 2.2 or 3.0 of any replacement
>> mechanism for constructing, and the method still exists in the 3.0
>> javadoc.
>> I can think of 4 possibilities:
>> 1) The deprecation of this method was a mistake and added at the same
>> time as the constructor which took a function.
>> 2) The proposal is that construction be moved to a factory class, but
>> the Factory class has not been added yet.
>> 3) There is an alternative way of constructing a MullerSolver I
>> haven't found yet.
>> 4) Deprecation has been decided with no migration route yet decided upon.
>> Can anyone tell me which of these is correct, or a fifth option, and
>> tell me how code which uses "new MullerSolver()" should be changed?
>> I really hope it isn't 4! My guess is 2, as SecantSolver has
>> UnivariateRealSolverFactoryImpl.newSecantColver(). While I might
>> disagree with this design (force the use of the Factory) at least
>> there is the hope of migration.
> It's not 2) because "UnivariateRealSolverFactory" has been removed in the
> development code. Cf.
> The indication of future removal was a mistake: A default constructor still
> exist (setting a default value for the absolute accuracy) but it does not
> behave as in 2.2 (where there was also a default "maximum iteration count",
> which is now replaced with a "maximum evaluation count" to be passed to the
> "solve" method).
> Best regards,
> Gilles

Thanks for clarifying Gilles. Is there any chance of getting the
@deprecated out of a 2.2 release? We try and keep our deprecated
warning count down in our codebase, and this has hit us with a lot.
Similarly for Secant, Newton etc? Should I add this to the Math-439

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message