commons-user mailing list archives

From "KARR, DAVID (ATTSI)" <dk0...@att.com>
Subject RE: [math] Anyone using BetaDistribution and BetaDistributionImpl
Date Thu, 17 Mar 2011 14:09:38 GMT

Well, primarily you could help me figure out how to use it :) , but
that's more of an issue with not understanding the statistics, as
opposed to not understanding the API.

We have a large collection of individual data records that indicate
success/failure of an operation call, where there are a significant
number of possible operations, along with other permutations in the
record that associate it with a different "workflow".  We can get
success/failure ratio of those operations in workflows over particular
time periods (15, 60, 180, 1440 minutes, et cetera), but we want to
process this data over a much larger time period (30 days or more) to
determine what's "normal" for those operations in the various workflows,
essentially building percentage ranges for each of those permutations
that indicate whether a permutation is "green", "orange", or "red".

I've been told by someone who understands the statistics only a little
better than me that a beta distribution function could help here, but I
won't be able to implement this until we get help from someone who
really understands the statistics here.