commons-user mailing list archives

From "Daniel Gredler" <dgred...@dhlglobalmail.com>
Subject [NET] ParserInitializationException root cause
Date Tue, 15 Mar 2011 23:40:36 GMT
Hi all,

I have a question about ParserInitializationException; it appears to
have its own "rootCause" instance variable, rather than using
RuntimeException's constructors which allow a cause to be specified
(ParserInitializationException extends RuntimeException). So for example
on line 53 of the class [1], I would expect to see a simple invocation
to "super(message, rootCause)".

The reason this has come up is that we're logging these exceptions using
log4j, but because ParserInitializationException doesn't use the
standard JDK exception chaining, we don't get visibility into the root
issue. Does anyone know why this exception was built this way? Would
anyone else consider this a bug?

Take care,

Daniel

[1]
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/net/trunk/src/main/java/org/
apache/commons/net/ftp/parser/ParserInitializationException.java?view=ma
rkup