commons-user mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [runtime] Stability of memory mapped file support
Date Sat, 12 Mar 2011 06:22:30 GMT
On 03/12/2011 05:57 AM, Steve Ash wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am working on something that could benefit from using large memory mapped
> files.  I have had bad experiences with the built in support, and the lack
> of deterministic unmapping in the past.  I am interested in the support
> offered in Commons Runtime.  Is it complete or stable?  Any production time?

That's my sandbox project, and I'm currently reviewing the complete
API since it collides/overlaps with Java7 API in some areas.
Also I'll completely drop the Java5 support, so I wouldn't suggest
you base anything on the current sandbox code any time soon.

Anyhow, it's still in active development, and the original
plan for replacing Daemon and Tomcat Native core functionality still
stands, but since lots changed in JVM area since sandboxed, I
had to rethink of few concepts, especially about using core Unsafe
API which offers much higher JNI performance.

Ping me back in a month or just watch the SVN activity, and I'll
be able to give you more info then.
Worse case? It might even go to the attic before exiting the sandbox.
Sometimes I find developing inside ASF so frustrating, that I'm not
sure I wish to do that again. It's not the same place I remember it
was a decade ago.

Regards
--
^TM