commons-user mailing list archives

From Peter Desjardins <peter.desjardins...@gmail.com>
Subject [logging] Problem with Eclipse infocenter WAR file - org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: No suitable Log constructor
Date Thu, 03 Feb 2011 21:55:09 GMT
Hi. I am trying to run the Eclipse infocenter as a WAR file and I'm
seeing problems when using JBoss 4.2.0 EAP CP05. The WAR application
runs fine using Tomcat 6.0 and JBoss 4.0.1. The Eclipse infocenter is
the user assistance component of the Eclipse IDE. I packaged it as a
WAR file as described here (http://bit.ly/gw85YN).

The Eclipse infocenter WAR file includes this JAR file:
org.apache.commons.logging_1.0.4.v201005080501.jar. I'm using Windows
XP and jdk1.6.0_18.

The error I see is pasted below. It occurs when I try to open the
application in a browser for the first time.

15:41:32,468 ERROR [ContainerBase] Servlet.service() for servlet
equinoxbridgeservlet threw exception
org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: No suitable Log
constructor [Ljava.lang.Class;@1e4d960 for
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLogger (Caused by
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/log4j/Category) (Caused by
org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: No suitable Log
constructor [Ljava.lang.Class;@1e4d960 for
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLogger (Caused by
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/log4j/Category))

I've tried adding log4j.jar and a log4j.xml file in my WAR file as
described here:
http://osdir.com/ml/jakarta.log4j.user/2003-08/msg00210.html. That did
not help. I'm not sure my log4j.xml file was configured correctly but
using it didn't change the error message at all.

Can anyone suggest a possible cause for this problem? If this isn't a
commons-logging issue, can you tell me where I might look?

Thanks for your help.

Peter Desjardins