commons-user mailing list archives

From "Collins, Russell" <rcoll...@corelogic.com>
Subject RE: Question.
Date Fri, 11 Feb 2011 21:48:09 GMT
>From my experience, I try to use the latest and greatest.  As Joe said, most of the versions
do a good job of backwards compatibility.  My general rule of thumb is if there is a release,
replace the older one with the most recent in the development environment and see what happens
(run tests, etc).  Most releases do not take functionality away but will deprecate things
that are not longer relevant.  These changes are usually documented as well.  Using this strategy,
you can keep your application as up to date and as bug free as possible.  In my experience,
if there is something wrong with the new version, you will find out really quickly especially
if you are designing and testing your application properly.  It was also said earlier to use
Maven.  Trust me when I say that Maven can make this process of plugging in/reverting to different
assemblies VERY painless.  I used Ant for a long time and still like Ant very much.  After
using Maven however, I am now a believer!

Russell Collins
Sr. Software Engineer
CoreLogic Spatial Solutions

"Do or do not, there is no try." - Yoda

-----Original Message-----
From: Haswell, Joe [mailto:josiah.d.haswell@hp.com]
Sent: Friday, February 11, 2011 3:20 PM
To: Commons Users List
Subject: RE: Question.

Hi Nadia,

In general, the various Commons releases maintain good backwards-compatibility with previous
releases between major versions (e.g. 2.x -> 3.x).  Most of those projects will probably
be in the latest major version, so keeping one jar on the classpath containing the latest
version of the necessary Commons component will /probably/ be safe /most/ of the time.  If
you're comfortable or already using Ant, consider using Ivy for dependency-management; if
you're not, I prefer Maven to Ant+Ivy.

Best!

Joe H. | HP Software