commons-user mailing list archives

From Oliver Heger <oliver.he...@oliver-heger.de>
Subject Re: [configuration] XInclude support in xml files
Date Fri, 11 Feb 2011 20:12:25 GMT
Am 10.02.2011 19:49, schrieb Jon Smith:
> Hi,
>
> I have searched through the archive as well as documentation but couldn't
> find if Commons Configuration's XML format supports XInclude.
>
> I know Digester has added this support but XMLConfiguration doesn't seem to
> be using it or, at least, does not allow XInclude awareness to be set to
> true.
>
> I also tried giving my own XInclude and Namespace aware DocumentBuilder to
> DefaultConfigurationBuilder but didn't seem to get XInclude to work.
>
> Following is what I am trying to do:
>
> configuration.xml snippet:
>
> <additional>
>     <xml fileName="file1.xml"/>
> </additional>
>
> file1.xml snippet:
>
> <!-- namespaces declared in header -->
> <myconfig>
>     <config1 name="something"/>
>     <xi:include href="file2.xml" parse="text"/>
> </myconfig>
>
> Any pointers?
>
> The intent is to not to let users touch configuration.xml but include more
> files to the already included (e.g. file1.xml) file.
>
> thanks

It is correct that there is no support for XInclude in XMLConfiguration
- unfortunately. (Patches would be welcome ;-)

If Digester supports XInclude, then it would probably be a good idea to
align the code. XMLConfiguration does not use Digester for reading XML
files, it does its own parsing.

Can you elaborate a bit why it did not work to setup your own
DocumentBuilder?

Oliver