commons-user mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <denn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [logging] Problem with Eclipse infocenter WAR file - org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: No suitable Log constructor
Date Thu, 03 Feb 2011 22:10:27 GMT
On 2011-02-03 22:55, Peter Desjardins wrote:
> Hi. I am trying to run the Eclipse infocenter as a WAR file and I'm
> seeing problems when using JBoss 4.2.0 EAP CP05. The WAR application
> runs fine using Tomcat 6.0 and JBoss 4.0.1. The Eclipse infocenter is
> the user assistance component of the Eclipse IDE. I packaged it as a
> WAR file as described here (http://bit.ly/gw85YN).

First thing to check is if JBoss 4.2.0 has its own copy of
commons-logging somewhere. That JAR would then be in a different class
loader than the JAR that you put inside your WAR. If that is the case
then you either need to put a copy of log4j inside JBoss class path, or
you try to replace the JBoss commons-logging JAR with the official
Apache Commons Logging version 1.1.1. That version has much better error
reporting on issues like these.

> The Eclipse infocenter WAR file includes this JAR file:
> org.apache.commons.logging_1.0.4.v201005080501.jar. I'm using Windows
> XP and jdk1.6.0_18.
>
> The error I see is pasted below. It occurs when I try to open the
> application in a browser for the first time.
>
> 15:41:32,468 ERROR [ContainerBase] Servlet.service() for servlet
> equinoxbridgeservlet threw exception
> org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException:
> org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: No suitable Log
> constructor [Ljava.lang.Class;@1e4d960 for
> org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLogger (Caused by
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/log4j/Category) (Caused by
> org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: No suitable Log
> constructor [Ljava.lang.Class;@1e4d960 for
> org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLogger (Caused by
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/log4j/Category))
>
> I've tried adding log4j.jar and a log4j.xml file in my WAR file as
> described here:
> http://osdir.com/ml/jakarta.log4j.user/2003-08/msg00210.html. That did
> not help. I'm not sure my log4j.xml file was configured correctly but
> using it didn't change the error message at all.
>
> Can anyone suggest a possible cause for this problem? If this isn't a
> commons-logging issue, can you tell me where I might look?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Peter Desjardins

Dennis Lundberg