commons-user mailing list archives

From "Mikael Hakman" <mhak...@dkab.net>
Subject [math] NonLinearConjugateGradientOptimizer:unable to bracket optimum in line search
Date Mon, 14 Feb 2011 16:44:34 GMT
Hello,

I'm trying to use NonLinearConjugateGradientOptimizer for parameter
estimation in models consisting of differential equations. When I use
NonLinearConjugateGradientOptimizer I get the following exception:

org.apache.commons.math.optimization.OptimizationException: unable to
bracket optimum in line search

This is the same whether I start very close to actual parameter values or
from zeros. Observing the squared sum I can see that it starts reasonably
low, then it perhaps decreases even more but then it increases eventually to
infinity or to NAN - then I get the exception. What should I do? Thanks.

Best Regards,
Mikael Hakman
Uppsala
Sweden