commons-user mailing list archives

From Mikkel Meyer Andersen <m...@mikl.dk>
Subject Re: RE: [Math] BigDecimal to power
Date Fri, 21 Jan 2011 00:03:04 GMT
Hi,

First of all, thanks!

In terms of power, I have already submitted a patch proposal for dealing
with matrix powers based on repeated squaring. I haven't looked at your code
yet, but we might be able to make a common codebase by smart interfacing.
I'll take a look at it, hopefully some time next week.

Cheers, Mikkel.
Den 20/01/2011 19.45 skrev "Andy Turner" <A.G.D.Turner@leeds.ac.uk>:
> Hi,
>
> I changed the license for my code and wrote some junit tests while
refactoring.

> I think there are many improvements since I originally emailed. I have not
had any off list expressions of interest and I wonder if there is yet any
other interest in making this available as part of Commons Math?

> I have added an entry in the wish list and created a JIRA issue (which I
am watching) and attached a zip file containing a copy of the src and tests
code to it:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MATH-490
>
> The main reason I developed this code was that I needed to raise a
BigDecimal to the power of another BigDecimal. Dealing with all the
different cases has been a challenge. Although I'm not 100% confident I have
handled every case, I'm reasonably happy with this effort.

> In terms of junit tests: where the expected result was not obvious to me
and I could think of no obvious other way to calculate it using the java
core code, I have used results returned from my methods to set expected
results. This is better than nothing, but developers of this code should be
warned that test failures may be a result of original errors rather than as
a consequence of changes they have made. I wonder if there are some
canonical math compliance test data that I should use... I was thinking that
I should document or use some attribution or something to distinguish the
different types of test if I got this far.

> Does anyone have any good advice for me at this stage?
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Andy
> http://www.geog.leeds.ac.uk/people/a.turner/

another BigDecimal and which returns the result rounded to a specified
number of decimal places. It is in the maths package of my Generic library
and can be found via the following URL:
>> http://www.geog.leeds.ac.uk/people/a.turner/src/andyt/java/generic/
>>
>> There are no third party dependencies. I have not fully tested the code
and already after I released I found a bug which is only updated in
subversion repository. Anyway in general the methods work and should be
generally useful. I looked for code to do this two years ago and although I
expect there are other implementations, I had no luck finding any and this
week I bit the bullet.