commons-user mailing list archives

From Rahul Akolkar <rahul.akol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: SCXML : <SEND> vs JEXL FUNCTION
Date Thu, 27 Jan 2011 23:31:00 GMT
On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 3:25 PM, Micka <mickamusset@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm always amazing about the SCXML.
>
> I'm using JEXL in my SCXML project and when i discovered all the thing that
> JEXL can bring ( like custom function ) , I was wondering what is the
> purpose to use <send> or <invoke> tag in the scxml file.
>
> Is it possible that someone explain me ?
>

> By the way, thank you for this amazing project !

> if my english is not good enough for you to understand.
>

> Why should I use :
> org.apache.commons.scxml.EventDispatcher class with the :
> public void send(String sendId, String targe, String type, String event,
>        Map params, Object hints, long delay, List externalNodes) ;
>
> instead of  :
> JEXL.setFunctions(funcs); ?

<snip/>

Custom functions in JEXL should be used to make the expression
language more effective for the SCXML document -- so utility functions
for quick, local calculations and transforms.

The use of <send> is a standard feature in SCXML, and its purpose is
to initiate and maintain communication with other processes (local or
remote). Anything to do with such "external communications" should be
modeled as <send> and thereby implemented using the EventDispatcher.

-Rahul