commons-user mailing list archives

From Jacob Zwiers <Jacob.Zwi...@tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca>
Subject [validator] Status Of Future Development In Light of Bean Validation and ORO Retirement
Date Fri, 07 Jan 2011 14:58:16 GMT
I've scanned the last couple of years of the mailing lists to try and get this information.
 Apologies if it's answered elsewhere, but I couldn't find it.

I'm aware of the Incubator project "Bean Validator" which is taking the Commons Validator
in a new, JSR-303 direction.

I've also noted some (not sure how recent) action on a version 1.4 which seems intended to
bring the minumum JDK up to 1.4.

However, it seems that ORO (http://jakarta.apache.org/oro/) has been retired, and "Users are
encouraged to use similar features in newer Java versions, where available."

I went down this path trying to remove dependencies on ORO but got stopped because of the
validator dependecy on it.

So ... my question is ... is there any appetite for a validator2 project which bring the JDK
up to 1.4 or 1.5 and gets off the ORO depencency.

Or can that just be done as part of the 1.4 release since it shouldn't require and API changes
... and may not benefit too much from and JDK 1.5 features?

The use case would be for projects which continue to value the implementation of the routine-based
validation of things like email addresses but don't need the whole JSR-303.

Either way, I'm happy to provide patches since (at least on the ORO-replacement) since I've
already gone down that path with some or our internal regexps.

jz