commons-user mailing list archives

From Andy Turner <A.G.D.Tur...@leeds.ac.uk>
Subject RE: [Math] BigDecimal to power
Date Thu, 20 Jan 2011 18:44:10 GMT
Hi,

I changed the license for my code and wrote some junit tests while refactoring.

I think there are many improvements since I originally emailed. I have not had any off list
expressions of interest and I wonder if there is yet any other interest in making this available
as part of Commons Math?

I have added an entry in the wish list and created a JIRA issue (which I am watching) and
attached a zip file containing a copy of the src and tests code to it:

The main reason I developed this code was that I needed to raise a BigDecimal to the power
of another BigDecimal. Dealing with all the different cases has been a challenge. Although
I'm not 100% confident I have handled every case, I'm reasonably happy with this effort.

In terms of junit tests: where the expected result was not obvious to me and I could think
of no obvious other way to calculate it using the java core code, I have used results returned
from my methods to set expected results. This is better than nothing, but developers of this
code should be warned that test failures may be a result of original errors rather than as
a consequence of changes they have made. I wonder if there are some canonical math compliance
test data that I should use... I was thinking that I should document or use some attribution
or something to distinguish the different types of test if I got this far.

Does anyone have any good advice for me at this stage?

Best wishes,

Andy
http://www.geog.leeds.ac.uk/people/a.turner/