commons-user mailing list archives

From "Haswell, Joe" <josiah.d.hasw...@hp.com>
Subject RE: [MATH] Looking for example code for the math.random and math.optimization libraries
Date Wed, 08 Dec 2010 19:35:18 GMT
If you're starting from scratch, I strongly recommend SciPy/NumPy.  The libraries are truly
first-rate, Python is absurdly easy to learn, and you won't deal with many of the complexities
that the Java paradigm forces on you.  I don't really want this to turn into a flame-war,
but I take the "best tool for the job" approach, and I think that, for this sort of thing,
SciPy/NumPy are about as good as you can get.

You might consider Enthought's Python edition, but ensure that its license requirements are
appropriate for your context.

Best!

Joe H. | HP Software

-----Original Message-----
From: Rothenberg, Michael [mailto:MICHAEL.ROTHENBERG@nexteraenergy.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 2010 11:27 AM
To: Commons Users List
Subject: RE: [MATH] Looking for example code for the math.random and math.optimization libraries

I have a large 3rd party Monte carlo model/simulator here that we discovered was not mean
reverting (by a long ways as far as we are concerned) when it pulls random data for stochastic
runs.  I was told to go out and find something, preferably free, to use to pull the seed values
for the 3rd part modeler.  So I am starting from scratch, but do not have to build much.
Once the data is derived I just have to stuff it into an Access or MS SQL table that the 3rd
party modeler uses.

I think what I am looking for is to 1st define the mean and stddev for two variables and set
their correlation. 2nd pull a large number of random data pairs where the mean for the new
data will match the mean for the historical.

I'll look further into the GausianRandomGenerator.  I got to looking at the Apache Commons
library as I am mildly familiar with Java. I assume NumPy/SciPy are Python based? I am not
familiar with Python, but can always learn ;)

Thanks again for your help.

Best regards,

Michael

w: 561.304.5921