commons-user mailing list archives

From "Haswell, Joe" <josiah.d.hasw...@hp.com>
Subject RE: [MATH] Looking for example code for the math.random and math.optimization libraries
Date Wed, 08 Dec 2010 18:07:11 GMT
Ok.  So, CorrelatedRandomVectorGenerator is an actual implementation.  It sounds like you'll
want to use the GaussianRandomGenerator implementation of NormalizedRandomGenerator.  You
might assess Array2DRowRealMatrix suits your data, but you have options.  Unless you're using
this in an existing Java application, you might also consider using NumPy/SciPy, which dramatically
simplify most scientific computing relative to Java solutions.  Commons-math is a good Java
math library, but Java's not a great platform for this sort of thing.

Joe H.

-----Original Message-----
From: Rothenberg, Michael [mailto:MICHAEL.ROTHENBERG@nexteraenergy.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 2010 10:58 AM
To: Commons Users List
Subject: RE: [MATH] Looking for example code for the math.random and math.optimization libraries

Thanks for the quick response, Joe.  I am trying to pull random data based on a distribution
to start with.

I have two variables with historical data and a correlation between them: power and gas prices.
 I am now looking to simulate some relationships.  1st step is to pull random power and gas
pairs for each time period based on a distribution (historical mean/stddev) and correlation.
Lognormal is preferred, but I can make normal into log normal if needed.

I was browsing through math.random and came across the CorrelatedRandomVectorGenerator class.
 Sounds like that is right up my alley in terms of fitting my needs... but I have no idea
how to implement/use it.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Best regards,

Michael