commons-user mailing list archives

From Vincent Frison <vincent.fri...@gmail.com>
Subject [sanselan] Writing EXIF Orientation field into JPEG files
Date Mon, 20 Dec 2010 14:02:15 GMT
Hi,

I'm writing a small script in Java/Groovy which generates my picture galery
(resizing, thumbnails..). Since the galery is for web pusblishing I'm
rotating images when they contain orientation info in their metadata because
web browsers don't support it (which is really a shame).

There's no problem for that but at the end of the process I have to "reset"
the EXIF Orientation field to "1" (ie. regular orientation) in order that
rotated images can still be displayed correctly on viewers other than web
browsers.

It seems that Sanselan can write EXIF metadata on JPG files with the
ExifRewriter class. But is it possible to update specifically the
Orientation tag ? If yes, in which directory I have to add/update that field
?

Thanks a lot for your help,

Vincent.

PS: ExifRewriter Javadoc mentions the ExifMetadataUpdateExample class for
example usage but that class is not present in the latest tar.gz (0.97
binaries or source) neither linked from the Sample Usage web page.