commons-user mailing list archives

From Burt Leung <>
Subject Bug with StringEscapeUtilities' escapeHTML/unescapeHTML for certain characters
Date Sat, 18 Dec 2010 08:07:49 GMT

I recently used the StringEscapeUtilities to encode/decode a character
into its equivalent HTML entity. While I haven't used it much I do
notice that a couple cases in particular seem "wrong".

case1: StringEscapeUtils.escapeHtml4("ä")
This appears to give "&atilde;". This should actually be "&auml;".

case2: StringEscapeUtils.escapeHtml4("å");
This gives "&aring" but should actually be "&atilde;".

Using the unescape functional also gives the (incorrect) reverse results.

Is this an actual bug or am I missing something?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message