commons-user mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Daemon
Date Tue, 14 Dec 2010 18:37:09 GMT
On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 7:19 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 20 November 2010 23:13, Alex Karasulu <akarasulu@apache.org> wrote:
> > Hi Umit,
> >
> > 2010/11/21 Umut Aydın <devnetwork@gmail.com>
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I'm planning to use Apache Commons Daemon to get my server application
> >> run as a service. But I couldnt find any example / implementation.
> >> My server application based-on Apache Mina btw. Anyone could share an
> >> example with me?
> >>

> > Take a look here:
> >

> https://svn.apache.org/viewvc/directory/deceased/daemon/tags/1.0.2/bootstrappers/src/main/java/org/apache/directory/daemon/
> >

> > You'll see that we have a few bootstrappers and one is for Jsvc and
> another
> > for Procrun both of which are from commons daemon. This is deceased code
> in
> > our attic because we found that using these two different frameworks, one
> > for windows and the other for *nix dirtied up our code.
>
> Note: Commons Daemon is alive and well (indeed it is used by Tomcat
> amongst other projects).
>
> The phrase "This is deceased code in our attic" refers to the Apache
> Directory bootstrap code, not to Commons Daemon.

Yes this is absolutely true. Sorry I did not want to create any confusion
here.

BTW I wanted to keep on using the commons daemon code since well I like to
eat our own dog food but others pushed for the wrapper. To my surprise
actually turned out to be easier in the end for us to use perhaps because of
the specifics in our project.

However the wrapper thingy is plagued by this whole licensing issue after
its last truly open version. So it would be nice if we can find a way to
make commons daemon a single executable that behaves exactly the same
regardless of the platform.

--
Alex Karasulu
Apache MINA :: http://mina.apache.org