commons-user mailing list archives

From "Haswell, Joe" <josiah.d.hasw...@hp.com>
Subject RE: [Primitives] Does anyone use this?
Date Tue, 02 Nov 2010 18:42:29 GMT
Gnu Trove includes a set of benchmarks vs. the JCF.  I don't understand why this is so controversial;
a developer should be able to assess the suitability of a library for his or her purposes
without it turning into a huge debate.  If dependency-management is an issue, Trove is available
from numerous Ivy/Maven repositories.

Joe H. | HP Software

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin Gainty [mailto:mgainty@hotmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 02, 2010 11:41 AM
To: user@commons.apache.org
Subject: RE: [Primitives] Does anyone use this?

Brian

how does primitive collections implementation perform better than JDK collections?

thanks,
Martin
please do not alter or disrupt this transmission. thank you

> Subject: Re: [Primitives] Does anyone use this?
> From: brian@pontarelli.com
> Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 11:32:01 -0600
> To: user@commons.apache.org
>
> I would assume once you get out of the autoboxing caches the performance will get even
worse. It really depends on the application, but I've found a number of spots where primitive
collections work much better than autoboxing and JDK collections.

Of James Carman [james@carmanconsulting.com]
> >> Sent: Tuesday, November 02, 2010 12:30 PM
> >> To: Commons Users List
> >> Subject: Re: [Primitives] Does anyone use this?
> >>
> >> Premature optimization with JDK5. I'd say stick to the JDK classes if
> >> you can and only try to beef up space/performance if you need to.
> >>

> >> Normally I agree about evils of premature optimization. But ArrayListInt is
practically a drop-in replacement for ArrayList<Integer> and I see no reason not to
use it if it is supported and reliable.

> >> My test of 2 billion accesses (reads and writes) ran in 35% of the time when
I used ArrayListInt vs. ArrayList<Integer>.