commons-user mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [pool] "Smart" (aka auto-configure) pools
Date Fri, 05 Nov 2010 14:47:10 GMT

On Nov 5, 2010, at 10:23 AM, James Carman <james@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 10:11 AM, Phil Steitz <phil.steitz@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> The challenge with making a smart pool implementation is that it is hard to
>> define an algorithm that "does no harm" (i.e. always actually improves
>> performance) can be fully documented and is at least tractable to document,
>> maintain and support.  That does not mean it is impossible and I am
>> interested in having a look at your ideas.
>>

> Why not set it up so that the algorithm could be "plugged in" instead
> of trying to come up with the end-all be-all solution?

+1

> The trick is
> to make sure you capture all the metrics necessary for the plugged in
> strategy can make its decision(s).  Or, you could do it another way.
> You could allow the implementation to track all of the stuff that it
> needs on its own.  This way, you'd have to "publish" events for
> interested parties to subscribe to (object borrowed, object returned,
> object discarded, etc.)

+1 but it would probably be more convenient for users to be able to hitchhike on the maintenance
thread as Steve suggests to actually kick off adjustments.  Also, not just the pool but also
object factories will need to publish events.

We should probably take this discussion to the dev list at this point.

Phil