commons-user mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: DBCP - unclosed connections
Date Thu, 11 Nov 2010 05:11:40 GMT
I will check or someone else can confirm DBCP and pool versions.  If not the latest you can
upgrade them independently of Tomcat and you should try that.  See the Tomcat datasource docs
for instructions on how to do this.  Ask here or on tomcat-user if you need help.

The answer to your question is no, so if this is happening it indicates a DBCP or pool bug
or something else happening in your code to hold the connections.

Phil

On Nov 10, 2010, at 1:39 PM, Tyson Lowery <tysonlowery@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Phil for the reply.  I've changed maxWait to 1000 and removeAbandonedTimeout to
300.   MySQL wait_timeout is set to 500.

> I've put some System.out.printlns in and can see that this page is taking less than 1
second to process, even in the cases where I get the DBCP object created 2010-11-10 12:54:14
by the following code was never closed:
> java.lang.Exception errors.  So I don't think the timeout is being hit.  I can also see
that the finally block is being executed, I'm now printing to catalina.out after each object
is closed.

> Note that this isn't being reported everytime the page loads, just once in a while.
>
> Are there cases where this exception is generated even though the connections were successfully
closed?  Or is there a way to get more info from AbandonedTrace.java?

> Thanks,
> Tyson
>
> On 11/10/2010 2:44 AM, Phil Steitz wrote:
>> On 11/8/10 7:19 PM, Tyson Lowery wrote:
>>> I have a JSP page that is getting reported for not closing
>>> connections in catalina.out. I'm running Tomcat 6.0.26, so I believe
>>> we are on DBCP 1.2. I've racked my brain trying to figure out how
>>> these connections could possible remain unclosed. Does anyone have
>>> any tips or suggestions on how I can further troubleshoot this?
>>>

>> If your page holds onto a connection for longer than 55 seconds or there are queries
taking longer than 55 seconds to execute, DBCP will consider the associated connection abandoned.
 Try increasing this setting.  Note also that maxWait is specified in milliseconds, so below
is a pretty low setting.

>> Phil
>>
>>> Here's the latest version of our connection pool settings:
>>> <Resource name="jdbc/myDB" auth="Container" type="javax.sql.DataSource"
>>> maxActive="350" maxIdle="40" minIdle="10" maxWait="45"
>>> removeAbandoned="true"
>>> removeAbandonedTimeout="55"
>>> validationQuery="select 1"
>>> testWhileIdle="true"
>>> testOnBorrow="true"
>>> logAbandoned="true"
>>> timeBetweenEvictionRunsMillis="100000"
>>> minEvictableIdleTimeMillis="400000"
>>> numTestsPerEvictionRun="3"
>>> username="user" password="password"
>>> driverClassName="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"
>>> url="jdbc:mysql://1.2.3.4/myDB?autoReconnect=true&amp;jdbcCompliantTruncation=false"/>

>>> The JSP page literally has everything enclosed in a try block and
>>> all connections closed in a finally statement. See below:
>>>
>>> Connection con = null;
>>> Statement stmt = null;
>>> ResultSet rset = null;
>>> String query = "";
>>> Statement stmt2 = null;
>>> ResultSet rset3 = null;
>>> try {
>>> // page executes
>>> }
>>> catch (SQLException ex) {
>>> out.println ("\n*** SQLException caught ***\n");
>>> while (ex != null) {
>>> out.println ("SQLState: " + ex.getSQLState ());
>>> out.println ("Message: " + ex.getMessage ());
>>> out.println ("Vendor: " + ex.getErrorCode ());
>>> ex = ex.getNextException ();
>>> out.println ("");
>>> }
>>> }
>>> catch (java.lang.Exception ex) { // Got some other type of
>>> exception. Dump it.
>>> ex.printStackTrace ();
>>> }
>>> finally {
>>> if(rset != null) {
>>> try {rset.close();}
>>> catch(Exception e) {
>>> System.out.println("Exception in finally rset");
>>> e.printStackTrace();
>>> }
>>> rset = null;
>>> }
>>> if(rset3 != null) {
>>> try {rset3.close();}
>>> catch(Exception e) {
>>> System.out.println("Exception in finally rset3");
>>> e.printStackTrace();
>>> }
>>> rset3 = null;
>>> }
>>> if(stmt != null) {
>>> try {stmt.close();}
>>> catch(Exception e) {
>>> System.out.println("Exception in finally stmt");
>>> e.printStackTrace();
>>> }
>>> stmt = null;
>>> }
>>> if(stmt2 != null) {
>>> try {stmt2.close();}
>>> catch(Exception e) {
>>> System.out.println("Exception in finally stmt2");
>>> e.printStackTrace();
>>> }
>>> stmt2 = null;
>>> }
>>> if(con != null) {
>>> try {con.close();}
>>> catch(Exception e) {
>>> System.out.println("Exception in finally con");