commons-user mailing list archives

From James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>
Subject Re: [pool] "Smart" (aka auto-configure) pools
Date Fri, 05 Nov 2010 14:23:34 GMT
On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 10:11 AM, Phil Steitz <phil.steitz@gmail.com> wrote:

> The challenge with making a smart pool implementation is that it is hard to
> define an algorithm that "does no harm" (i.e. always actually improves
> performance) can be fully documented and is at least tractable to document,
> maintain and support.  That does not mean it is impossible and I am
> interested in having a look at your ideas.

Why not set it up so that the algorithm could be "plugged in" instead
of trying to come up with the end-all be-all solution?  The trick is
to make sure you capture all the metrics necessary for the plugged in
strategy can make its decision(s).  Or, you could do it another way.
You could allow the implementation to track all of the stuff that it
needs on its own.  This way, you'd have to "publish" events for
interested parties to subscribe to (object borrowed, object returned,
object discarded, etc.)