commons-user mailing list archives

From Rahul Akolkar <rahul.akol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [scxml] Questions on Multiple Instances
Date Wed, 03 Nov 2010 15:35:27 GMT
On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 12:19 PM, Christopher Dragert
<chris.dragert@mail.mcgill.ca> wrote:
> The scenario:  I have many different classes (call them type A) each with their own
unique SCXML state chart. Though designed to work together, type A classes are necessarily
separate because we need them to be used modularly. Another set of classes (call these type
B), each instantiate a subset of the available type A classes.  Inside a type B class, events
are manually passed between the state charts in a broadcast arrangement.  Thus, there are
many different type B classes, each containing their own instances of several type A classes
that essentially operate as parallel state charts.

>  I am having problems with the efficiency of this arrangement.  I have two questions:
>
> 1)  When a state chart is parsed and loaded, one of the steps is to create an SCXML
engine.  Is it possible to clone the engine?  In my scenario, each type A class may be instantiated
many times.  This means that the associated SCXML file is parsed and loaded many times, causing
a significant slow down at load time.  Cloning an engine seems to offer a way around this.

<snip/>

As already mentioned, Commons SCXML uses a parse to model once,
instantiate any number of executors approach. This will require not
using the AbstractStateMachine helper class, which is a very simple
pattern (that re-parses).

> 2)  Is it possible to create an engine, then add a new state chart to the engine, treated
as though it was part of the first state chart but enclosed in <parallel> tags?  In
my scenario, this would allow my type B classes to only have one execution environment for
all of its instantiated type A classes.  Since we don't know what type As will be contained
in a type B, it seems hard to do this by prebuilding scxml files that actually contain the
<parallel> sections.  All this could be done before the state chart begins execution.

<snap/>

Type B could "generate" the SCXML just before executor instantiation,
including the type As as needed either via XML includes or via the now
deprecated src attribute of the <state> element.

-Rahul

> Any other advice regarding running large number of SCXML files would be appreciated!
 Thanks for any help.