commons-user mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: DBCP - unclosed connections
Date Thu, 11 Nov 2010 08:37:05 GMT
On 11/11/2010 05:11, Phil Steitz wrote:
> I will check or someone else can confirm DBCP and pool versions.
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/tomcat/tc6.0.x/tags/TOMCAT_6_0_26/build.properties.default?view=markup

DBCP 1.2.2
Pool 1.5.4

>  If not the latest you can upgrade them independently of Tomcat and you should try that.
 See the Tomcat datasource docs for instructions on how to do this.  Ask here or on tomcat-user
if you need help.

1. Add latest DBCP & Pool JARs to CATALINA_BASE/lib

2. Modify your Resource to include:
factory="org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSourceFactory"

3. Restart

Mark

> The answer to your question is no, so if this is happening it indicates a DBCP or pool
bug or something else happening in your code to hold the connections.

> Phil
>

> On Nov 10, 2010, at 1:39 PM, Tyson Lowery <tysonlowery@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Phil for the reply.  I've changed maxWait to 1000 and removeAbandonedTimeout
to 300.   MySQL wait_timeout is set to 500.

>> I've put some System.out.printlns in and can see that this page is taking less than
1 second to process, even in the cases where I get the DBCP object created 2010-11-10 12:54:14
by the following code was never closed:
>> java.lang.Exception errors.  So I don't think the timeout is being hit.  I can also
see that the finally block is being executed, I'm now printing to catalina.out after each
object is closed.

>> Note that this isn't being reported everytime the page loads, just once in a while.
>>
>> Are there cases where this exception is generated even though the connections were
successfully closed?  Or is there a way to get more info from AbandonedTrace.java?

>> Thanks,
>> Tyson

>>> If your page holds onto a connection for longer than 55 seconds or there are
queries taking longer than 55 seconds to execute, DBCP will consider the associated connection
abandoned.  Try increasing this setting.  Note also that maxWait is specified in milliseconds,
so below is a pretty low setting.