commons-user mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [dbcp] Question on Active connections
Date Wed, 03 Nov 2010 14:33:32 GMT
On 11/3/10 10:26 AM, Meenakshisundaram, Pattabiraman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The DBCP configuration for my app is given below:
>
>          <bean id="oracleDs" class="org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource">
>                  <property name="driverClassName" value="${jdbc.oracle.driver}" />
>                  <property name="url" value="${jdbc.oracle.url}" />
>                  <property name="username" value="${jdbc.oracle.user}" />
>                  <property name="password" value="${jdbc.oracle.password}" />
>                  <property name="initialSize" value="10"/>
>                  <property name="maxActive" value="30"/>
>                  <property name="maxWait" value="1500000"/>
>                  <property name="poolPreparedStatements" value="false"/>
>                  <property name="maxOpenPreparedStatements" value="50"/>
>          </bean>
>
> I am assuming that there would be Max Active connections of 30 all the time but in the
log, I see that no. of active connections appear to be cyclical. It goes down from 29 to 0
and then resets to 29. I was assuming that it would stay constant once it reaches Max Active.
Is it not the way it works?

> In the log I am printing Active and Idle connections
>   Active->  0 Idle->  8
>   Active->  0 Idle->  8
>   Active->  0 Idle->  8
>   Active->  0 Idle->  8
>   Active->  0 Idle->  8
>   Active->  16 Idle->  0
>   Active->  29 Idle->  1
>   Active->  28 Idle->  1
>   Active->  29 Idle->  1
> Active->  29 Idle->  1
>   Active->  29 Idle->  1
>

> Note: I am tweaking these properties with the hope that this would fix a problem we are
experiencing. Would appreciate if I could get suggestions/explanation for this as well.

> Our app uses Spring Batch API to run the batch job that in turn uses DBCP. Its been running
well but on very few occasions, certain threads hang. I was told to check the DB connections
as it heavily uses. Oddly, it fails even on a simple step that takes only one DB connection.
I was using DBCP 1.2.2 (build yr 2006) and recently upgraded to the latest 1.4.

Set maxIdle = 30.  The default setting for this parameter is 8, so
if you don't specify it, the idle instance count is limited to 8.

Phil