commons-user mailing list archives

From Siegfried Goeschl <sgoes...@gmx.at>
Subject Re: [Primitives] Does anyone use this?
Date Wed, 03 Nov 2010 02:35:20 GMT
And the Java primitives haven't changed lately ... :-)

Siegfried Goeschl

On 11/2/10 9:52 PM, sebb wrote:
> Note that lack of recent activity is not necessarily a bad sign; in
> this case I think it's because the code is working fine.
> I could find no outstanding bugs for the component.
>
> On 2 November 2010 20:10, Brian Pontarelli<brian@pontarelli.com>  wrote:
>> I probably wouldn't use these collections in a factory context. If I'm concerned
about speed and size, I'm going to create the primitive collection using the constructor and
then use it directly. Adding in any factories, AOP, etc. is just going to add overhead.

>> The original issue is really whether or not the commons library is still active or
if Trove is a better choice. I'd say either library will work and I've used both. Another
thing to think about is your comfort with licenses. I prefer ASL over LGPL as a rule of thumb
and Trove is LGPL. I tend to avoid anything with the letters G, P and L in the license. But
if you can find something with BSD, that's the way to go.

>> ;)
>>
>> -bp
>>

>> On Nov 2, 2010, at 1:24 PM, Martin Gainty wrote:
>>

>>> also lookup methods from factories will reliably lookup ArrayList<BoxedPrimitiveDatatype>
 when bean definition has attribute
>>> dependency-check="object" but wont lookup a collection of primitives such as
int []PrimitiveDataTypeVariable even when the bean definition specified dependency-check="simple"

>>> http://static.springsource.org/spring/docs/1.2.9/reference/beans.html
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> Martin Gainty
>>> Verzicht und Vertraulichkeitanmerkung/Note de déni et de confidentialité
>>>
>>> Diese Nachricht ist vertraulich. Sollten Sie nicht der vorgesehene Empfaenger
sein, so bitten wir hoeflich um eine Mitteilung. Jede unbefugte Weiterleitung oder Fertigung
einer Kopie ist unzulaessig. Diese Nachricht dient lediglich dem Austausch von Informationen
und entfaltet keine rechtliche Bindungswirkung. Aufgrund der leichten Manipulierbarkeit von
E-Mails koennen wir keine Haftung fuer den Inhalt uebernehmen.
>>> Ce message est confidentiel et peut être privilégié. Si vous n'êtes pas le
destinataire prévu, nous te demandons avec bonté que pour satisfaire informez l'expéditeur.
N'importe quelle diffusion non autorisée ou la copie de ceci est interdite. Ce message sert
à l'information seulement et n'aura pas n'importe quel effet légalement obligatoire. Étant
donné que les email peuvent facilement être sujets à la manipulation, nous ne pouvons accepter
aucune responsabilité pour le contenu fourni.

this is so controversial; a developer should be able to assess the suitability of a library
for his or her purposes without it turning into a huge debate. If dependency-management is
an issue, Trove is available from numerous Ivy/Maven repositories.

will get even worse. It really depends on the application, but I've found a number of spots
where primitive collections work much better than autoboxing and JDK collections.

On Behalf Of James Carman [james@carmanconsulting.com]

is practically a drop-in replacement for ArrayList<Integer>  and I see no reason not
to use it if it is supported and reliable.

the time when I used ArrayListInt vs. ArrayList<Integer>.