commons-user mailing list archives

From Brian Pontarelli <br...@pontarelli.com>
Subject Re: [Primitives] Does anyone use this?
Date Tue, 02 Nov 2010 20:10:22 GMT
I probably wouldn't use these collections in a factory context. If I'm concerned about speed
and size, I'm going to create the primitive collection using the constructor and then use
it directly. Adding in any factories, AOP, etc. is just going to add overhead.

The original issue is really whether or not the commons library is still active or if Trove
is a better choice. I'd say either library will work and I've used both. Another thing to
think about is your comfort with licenses. I prefer ASL over LGPL as a rule of thumb and Trove
is LGPL. I tend to avoid anything with the letters G, P and L in the license. But if you can
find something with BSD, that's the way to go.

;)

-bp

On Nov 2, 2010, at 1:24 PM, Martin Gainty wrote:

> also lookup methods from factories will reliably lookup ArrayList<BoxedPrimitiveDatatype>
when bean definition has attribute
> dependency-check="object" but wont lookup a collection of primitives such as int []PrimitiveDataTypeVariable
even when the bean definition specified dependency-check="simple"

> http://static.springsource.org/spring/docs/1.2.9/reference/beans.html
>
> thanks,
> Martin Gainty
>
> Diese Nachricht ist vertraulich. Sollten Sie nicht der vorgesehene Empfaenger sein, so
bitten wir hoeflich um eine Mitteilung. Jede unbefugte Weiterleitung oder Fertigung einer
entfaltet keine rechtliche Bindungswirkung. Aufgrund der leichten Manipulierbarkeit von E-Mails
koennen wir keine Haftung fuer den Inhalt uebernehmen.
> Ce message est confidentiel et peut être privilégié. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire
responsabilité pour le contenu fourni.

>> From: josiah.d.haswell@hp.com
>> To: user@commons.apache.org
>> Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 18:42:29 +0000
>> Subject: RE: [Primitives] Does anyone use this?
>>
>> Gnu Trove includes a set of benchmarks vs. the JCF. I don't understand why this is
so controversial; a developer should be able to assess the suitability of a library for his
or her purposes without it turning into a huge debate. If dependency-management is an issue,
Trove is available from numerous Ivy/Maven repositories.

>> Joe H. | HP Software

get even worse. It really depends on the application, but I've found a number of spots where
primitive collections work much better than autoboxing and JDK collections.

Behalf Of James Carman [james@carmanconsulting.com]

is practically a drop-in replacement for ArrayList<Integer> and I see no reason not
to use it if it is supported and reliable.

when I used ArrayListInt vs. ArrayList<Integer>.