commons-user mailing list archives

From Niall Pemberton <>
Subject Re: [io] is 2.0 on Maven?
Date Fri, 29 Oct 2010 13:31:19 GMT
On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 2:13 PM, James Carman
<> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 9:07 AM, Niall Pemberton
> <> wrote:
>> I believe it does, but for example if a put a redirection pom in for
>> commons-io:commons-io:1.4 to org.apache.commons:commons-io:1.4 the
>> problem is that people will already have the old 1.4 pom in their
>> local repo and unless they remove the old artifact, the new
>> redirection pom will not be downloaded.
> DOH!  Well, that stinks.  I guess we do need to have a discussion on
> how we plan to play nice with respect to all of this
> version/artifact/group management.  I think the plan of keeping the
> artifactId and the package names in sync is a good idea.  But, we need
> to be careful about this whole "new" groupId thing.  Should we fire up
> a discussion thread on dev@?

We could, but I would suggest a slightly different approach. This has
been discussed in the past and from memory there is more than one
approach that could be taken. The problem with starting a discussion
is that the different points people make about how and the pros and
cons get fragmented among a large thread. I think the best thing would
be to start a Wiki page - that way we could collect all the options
and pros/cons in one place. Once we've done that then its likely to
make any discussion much easier and less contentious. I'm very busy
for the next week, so I'm happy to take part in that - but not just at
the moment.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message