commons-user mailing list archives

From Luc Maisonobe <Luc.Maison...@free.fr>
Subject Re: [math] EuclideanIntegerPoint EuclideanDoublePoint
Date Wed, 20 Oct 2010 08:19:56 GMT
Le 20/10/2010 10:04, VanIngen, Erik (FIPS) a écrit :
> Good morning!
>
> I need to to cluster analysis on values like this:
> 1.814263985     -0.633923297
> 2.501153739     -0.559033358
> 2.408755862     -0.509902975
> 1.935495243     -0.330554484
> 0.728818279     -0.169024633
> -0.523861032    0.110392311
>
> I can use EuclideanIntegerPoint, but than I have to convert the values to integers and
would loose precission. So my trick would be to multiply with 1000, cluster and multiply the
values with 0.001. Would that be a valid approach from a methodology point of view?

> Are there any plans to develop a EuclideanDoublePoint?

The K-means++ clusterer can handle any implementation of the Clusterable
interface. The intent is to allow users to provide their own class to
suit their needs. The EuclideanIntegerPoint can be seen as a simple
reference implementation. There are no plans to add other
implementations yet.

In order to avoid data duplication, I would suggest that your existing
class that already holds the values implements the Clusterable interface
by itself. This way, you can directly provide your own data to K-means++.

Hope this helps
Luc