commons-user mailing list archives

From Luc Maisonobe <Luc.Maison...@free.fr>
Subject Re: [math] stability of latest svn code
Date Wed, 29 Sep 2010 17:05:21 GMT
Le 29/09/2010 18:34, Bernard GODARD a écrit :
> Hi all,

Hi Bernard,

> With a group of a few people, I am taking part in the General
> Trajectory Optimisation Competition (
> http://www.esa.int/gsp/ACT/mad/op/GTOC/index.htm ) which starts next
> week and lasts one month.

Good luck with GTOC. Do you intend to use Orekit for this or do you use
your own flight dynamics code ?

> week and lasts one month. We have been preparing some orbital dynamics
> code that is making use of the commons-math 2.1 library. However, I
> have noticed an interesting new feature with respect to performance
> has appeared in the SVN : FastMath. Therefore I am thinking of
> updating to the current version in the SVN. Does anyone has any
> information about the stability of the current SVN code? Is it wise to
> move? and should we checkout trunk or the 2.x branch?

Some parts are undergoing changes but this happens mostly on the trunk
where 3.0 is developed. FastMath has been added to both the branch and
the trunk. There was also some changes in the optimization framework for
convergence criterions, but we hope to have done this with compatibility
in mind in the branch (not in the trunk).

For what it's worth, I currently use the 2.x branch in the yet
unreleased version of Orekit and it works well (and yes, FastMath
improves computation speed for this type of problems).

Luc