commons-user mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DBCP] getConnection Timeout
Date Sat, 04 Sep 2010 14:25:44 GMT
On 9/2/10 10:20 PM, sic wrote:

> I'm using dbcp on the web application server whose version is
> commons-dbcp-1.3, commons-pool-1.5.4 on jdk1.5.
>
> It can be used to execute some DML statements when receiving about 30 ~ 150
> number of data(data is less than 3 KB) peridically per minute
>
> Expected to do these simple works with no difficulties, it generated some
> errors occasionally(50 ~ 150 per day).
>
> org.apache.commons.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot get a connection, pool
> error Timeout waiting for idle object
> 	at
> org.apache.commons.dbcp.PoolDataSource.getConnection(PoolingDataSource.java:114)
> 	at
> org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource.getConnection(BasicDataSource.java:1044)
>
> The web application server could use 30 threads at most, using oracle DB and
> the configurations are following:
>
> <bean id="dataSource" class="org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource"
> destroy-method="close">
> 	<property name="driverClassName" value="oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver" />
> 	<property name="url" value="..." />
> 	<property name="username" value="..." />
> 	<property name="password" value="..." />
> 	<property name="initialSize" value="5"/>
> 	<property name="maxActive" value="30"/>
> 	<property name="maxIdle" value="30"/>
> 	<property name="minIdle" value="5"/>
> 	<property name="maxWait" value="10000"/>
> 	<property name="testWhileIdle" value="true"/>
> 	<property name="validationQuery" value="select 1 from dual"/>
> 	<property name="testOnReturn" value="true"/>
> 	<property name="timeBetweenEvictionRunsMillis" value="10000"/>
> </bean>
>
> How can I prevent it from generating continuously?
>
> I have a feeling of doubt about my maxWait and
> timeBetweenEvictionRunsMillis.
> Surely I guess, if I change the maxWait value more sufficiently, it would be
> generated much less than the present, which is just a temporary resolution.
> I'm not certain whether timeBetweenEvictionRunsMillis has influence on this
> issue.

The timeBetweeenEvictionRunsMillis should not have any impact on the
issue, other than making it too short can reduce efficiency of the
pool.  Unless idle connections are going bad, you can remove this
parameter altogether.  All it is doing is triggering examination of
some (3) of the idle connections in the pool each time it runs.

What is going on is what the exception message indicates: you are
running out of available connections.  When this exception occurs,
all 30 available connections are checked out and a thread has waited
more than 10 seconds for one of them to be returned.  If there
really are only 30 app server threads active at a given time, this
may indicate that that on some control paths your code is not
closing connections. You should review your code to make sure that
there are no control paths that result in connections being
abandoned (i.e. borrowed using getConnection, but not returned via
Connection.close()).  You can also set removeAbandoned=true and
configure an abandonedTimeOut setting to have the pool automatically
reclaim connections that appear to be abandoned.  It is better,
however, to fix your code if this is what is happening.

Phil