commons-user mailing list archives

From "Cardillo, Ray - IS" <Ray.Cardi...@itt.com>
Subject Static versus Transient Logger Declarations
Date Thu, 09 Sep 2010 16:27:06 GMT
I have recently started a discussion<https://community.jboss.org/message/558408#558408>
about the use of Static versus Transient Logger declarations in open source libraries that
are intended to be used in multiple application containers (or other contexts) after reading
the following Apache Commons Logging article:

Logging/StaticLog
http://wiki.apache.org/commons/Logging/StaticLog

The article seems sound to me, and does a good job of explaining why Transient is generally
the better strategy, should not cause any tangible performance degradation with most modern
logging libraries, and more importantly, why it will actually work correctly when used in
anything but the simplest Java application.  However, some people have responded to this thread
by either focusing on performance (which seems to be a mute point in my opinion) or by focusing
on the features of one specific Logger library implementation.  Both perspectives seem to
be short sited if you are intending to create a library that can be used in any context (e.g.,
any application container, application, used by another library, etc).

I am asking for participation from the Apache community because some replies have (politely)
discredited or dismissed the Apache article that I referenced.  If the article is in fact
out of date, then can someone please verify that, and amend the Apache Commons Wiki?  If the
article is not outdated, and is still technically accurate, then can someone who is intimately
familiar with this topic step forward and help defend the position, and educate others who
might be interested in this topic?  I would like to see the correct strategy employed in future
work by this community (and other open source communities) because many open source libraries
are incubated under bigger projects like JBoss AS, but intended to be used more widely as
well.  I would hate to see the incorrect pattern being proliferated just because it is the
"de facto norm" especially if there is an opportunity to help educate everyone about a better
approach.

So in summary, I am asking for help getting facts (not opinions) communicated about Static
versus Transient Logger declarations, so developers who are creating libraries that are intended
to be used in any context (any application container, etc), can have a solid reference about
which strategy is best.  Again, for easy reference, the link to the forum discussion is:

Better strategy for instantiation of Logger instances (static causes problems)
https://community.jboss.org/message/558408#558408

Thanks in advance to anyone who participates!

Ray Cardillo
Principal Software Engineer
ITT Corporation
Advanced Engineering & Sciences (AES)
Rome, NY

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may be proprietary and are intended solely for
e-mail in error please notify the sender.
Please note that any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author
and do not necessarily represent those of ITT Corporation. The recipient should check this
e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses. ITT accepts no liability for any damage
caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.