commons-user mailing list archives

From Jasmin Mehta <>
Subject Re: [Logging] : Can commons.logging be used without log4j
Date Mon, 09 Aug 2010 14:23:48 GMT
Yes,  something similar to webapp-classpath-first check box does come up
when I deploy the ear file.

Here is the screen shot:

What do I do here?

The 'Include War Manifest Class Path' check box is checked by default. I
did not edit anything here. My file in war file doesn't have
anything, its just

Manifest-Version: 1.0
Ant-Version: Apache Ant 1.6.5
Created-By: 1.5.0_06-b05 (Sun Microsystems Inc.)
Built-By: JM

Please guide me.

From:   James Carman <>
To:     Commons Users List <>
Date:   08/09/2010 10:14 AM
Subject:        Re: [Logging] : Can commons.logging be used without log4j
Sent by:

Sounds like a classloader configuration issue.  OC4J probably has a
version of log4j on their classpath and it's bleeding over into the
classpath of your webapps.  Is there a webapp-classpath-first setting

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 10:06 AM, Jasmin Mehta <>
> What you are suggesting may be true for JBoss. But I have it practically
> not working on OC4J.

> According to this article, log4j.xml or plays the same
> role. I do have separate configured for each web
> application, pointing to different log directory and file name. But
> it picks up the one which deploys first. Looks like limitation of OC4J.
> So that is why I am looking for option without using log4j at all.
> From:   Brent Worden <>
> Date:   08/09/2010 09:56 AM
> Subject:        Re: [Logging] : Can commons.logging be used without
> On 8/9/2010 7:53 AM, Jasmin Mehta wrote:
>> The log4j has limitation that if its used as a shared library then it
> can
>> initiate only one configuration. So my all we applications which shares
>> the same instance are populating the logs into only one log file (the
> web
>> app which deployed first in order), rather than individual / separate
> log
>> files configured in the path of each of the application's
> This isn't true.  Log4j allows for defining and using multiple log
> configurations in a single JVM.  This is accomplished by using a
> RepositorySelector to manage the multiple log hierarchies.  See
> for a web
> container example.
> Thanks,
> Brent Worden
> For additional commands, e-mail:
> This email and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for
> the use of the individual or agency to whom they are addressed.
> If you have received this email in error please notify the Navy
> Exchange Service Command e-mail administrator. This footnote
> also confirms that this email message has been scanned for the
> presence of computer viruses.
> Thank You!

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: