commons-user mailing list archives

From Jasmin Mehta <Jasmin_Me...@nexweb.org>
Subject Re: [Logging] : Can commons.logging be used without log4j
Date Mon, 09 Aug 2010 14:06:37 GMT
What you are suggesting may be true for JBoss. But I have it practically
not working on OC4J.

http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B31017_01/web.1013/b28952/opensrc.htm#i637153

According to this article, log4j.xml or log4j.properties plays the same
role. I do have separate log4j.properties configured for each web
application, pointing to different log directory and file name. But still
it picks up the one which deploys first. Looks like limitation of OC4J.

So that is why I am looking for option without using log4j at all.

From:   Brent Worden <brent.worden@gmail.com>
To:     user@commons.apache.org
Date:   08/09/2010 09:56 AM
Subject:        Re: [Logging] : Can commons.logging be used without log4j

On 8/9/2010 7:53 AM, Jasmin Mehta wrote:
> The log4j has limitation that if its used as a shared library then it
can
> initiate only one configuration. So my all we applications which shares
> the same instance are populating the logs into only one log file (the
web
> app which deployed first in order), rather than individual / separate
log
> files configured in the path of each of the application's
> log4j.properties.

This isn't true.  Log4j allows for defining and using multiple log
configurations in a single JVM.  This is accomplished by using a
RepositorySelector to manage the multiple log hierarchies.  See
http://community.jboss.org/wiki/Log4jrepositoryselector for a web
container example.

Thanks,

Brent Worden